Hiring Events: October 4: Deep East Texas | October 5: Deep East Texas | Texoma | Rural Capital Area More Job Fairs
TWC will perform system maintenance on Saturday, October 1 resulting in a two-hour intermittent outage starting at 10:00 pm. This outage will affect TWC web applications such as Unemployment Benefits Services, WorkInTexas, and Unemployment Tax Services.
Texas Fights Fentanyl


On May 31, 2021, TWC resumed using the weekly benefit amount (WBA) to repay overpayments; however, TWC collected only 50 percent of the WBA to repay overpayments.  Beginning September 18, 2022, TWC resumed collecting 100 percent of the WBA payment for individuals who have an overpayment. TWC uses eligible weekly payments to recoup overpayments, which is called offsetting.

The Benefits Overpayment Collections Unit only handles issues with repayment of benefit overpayments. Contact the Collections unit to request a repayment plan, get the balance of your overpayment, or to confirm your payment was received. 

The Collections staff are not able to make changes to your claim, cannot make changes to the overpayment, and are unable to provide an explanation of what caused the overpayment. For questions about why you were overpaid or if you disagree with the overpayment, please contact the Unemployment Benefits department for assistance.

Return to Top

Before Contacting the Collections department

Have a question about... Suggested Solution
  • How to request a repayment plan?
  • How to get your overpayment balance?
  • How to confirm TWC received your payment? 

Email Benefit Overpayment Collections
Call 512-936-3338

Please allow at least three weeks for TWC to process your payment. 
  • Why you were overpaid?
  • What week(s) were you overpaid?

Review the determination letters mailed to you or in your electronic mailbox (ui.texasworkforce.org).
When an overpayment is created, a determination is sent that provides information on what caused the overpayment and lists the week(s) you were overpaid. 

If you disagree with a determination, you should appeal. See How to Appeal a Decision.

If you have additional questions after reading the determination, contact the Unemployment Benefits Tele-Center at 800-939-6631 or by submitting a Contact Request form

  • A Determination of Payment of Unemployment Benefits or Statement of Overpayment that shows you are not eligible for benefits?

See Learning the Result of Your Application for Benefits.

  • Your current unemployment benefits claim or payment request?
Logon to Unemployment Benefits Services and select Claim and Payment Status. Scroll down to the Most Recent Payment section to see the TWC Processed Date and Amount Deposited.
Call Tele-Serv at 800-558-8321 and select option 2.
  • What to do if you disagree with the overpayment determination?
If you disagree with a determination, you should appeal. See How to Appeal a Decision.
  • General information on overpayments?
See Overpayment of Unemployment Benefits.
  • How to make a payment to TWC for your overpayment?
See Repayment of Overpayment
  • Making a change to your claim or providing new information? 
Contact the Unemployment Benefits Tele-Center at 800-939-6631 or by submitting a Contact Request form


Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

What caused the overpayment? 

When an overpayment is created, a determination is sent that provides information on what caused the overpayment and lists the week(s) you were overpaid. Check your mail or log on to ui.texasworkforce.org and read all determination letter(s) in your electronic mailbox.  You can also find some common causes for overpayments on the Overpayment page.  

What do I do if I disagree with the overpayment?

If you disagree with a determination, you should appeal. You cannot appeal by email or phone. If you appeal after the deadline, include a reason why the appeal is late. See How to Appeal.

  • If you appeal, you are not required to mail payments during the appeal process. Once the Appeals department processes your appeal, an indicator is added to the system and the overpayment statements will be placed on hold until a decision is made on the claim.  Collections staff are not able to process your appeal or check the status of an appeal.
    • If the determination is affirmed, you will need to send payments. Contact the Collections unit to set up a repayment plan.
    • If the determination is reversed, it takes the Unemployment Benefits department a week or two to make adjustments to the claim. 
  • For the status of an appeal, email: appeals@twc.texas.gov or call (512) 463-2807.  

Will TWC deduct my overpayment from my remaining balance OR withhold my current benefits to repay the overpayment?

We cannot deduct the entire overpayment from your remaining balance.

If you are requesting benefits, TWC will apply each eligible weekly benefit payment toward repaying your overpayment until it is repaid.

To make a payment now, see Repayment of an Overpayment. If you are overpaid, you are responsible for mailing payments to TWC to repay your overpayment, as collection action will not stop.

If you are not receiving benefits, log on to ui.texasworkforce.org review your Claim & Payment status and all determination letters in your Electronic Correspondence inbox to see why you are not eligible or contact the Unemployment department.  

Where do I send money to repay an overpayment? Can I submit it online or by phone?

We cannot accept payment online, by phone, debit card, credit card, or electronic check. To repay, you should mail your check or money order to TWC. Although TWC does not offer online payments, many banks offer online bill pay. Check with your bank on whether they provide this service. See Repayment of an Overpayment for more details.

Who do I call if I received a Notice of Potential Overpayment letter?

Contact the Benefit Payment Control (BPC) department using the phone number shown on the letter.

TWC compares the earnings you reported for each claim week to the earnings reported by your employer. When there is a difference in the dollar amount, we send a Notice of Potential Overpayment letter to you. The letter shows each week where there is a difference in the reported earnings. If you agree with the earnings reported by your employer, you do NOT need to contact TWC. We will correct the earnings to the amount reported by your employer if we do not hear from you by the deadline on the letter. You should only contact the BPC department if the employer's information is incorrect. 

Who do I contact if I think I may have been overpaid?


You may be able to find the answer to your question by reviewing the Unemployment Benefits information online or by reviewing the Claim and Payment Status information available on UBS.

If you are concerned your payment is incorrect or need to make changes or corrections to your claim, you should contact the Unemployment Benefits department at 800-939-6631 or by submitting a Contact Request form. The Unemployment department can determine whether the new information affects your claim. The Collections department only handles the collection of an overpayment after it has been created by the Unemployment department. 

How does working affect my claim?

If you are working and requesting unemployment benefits, you must report your earnings and the hours you worked for each week you request benefit payments. A common mistake is assuming you do not have to report work or earnings. However, you must report all work – there are no exceptions to what TWC considers “work.” For information on how to properly report earnings, see How to report your work & earnings

Another common misunderstanding is believing you filed for benefits “against” or “from” a specific employer and therefore your wages from a different employer do not affect your claim. However, claims are not from a specific employer but instead are based on your prior wages and why you are unemployed. See Eligibility & benefit amounts and Ongoing eligibility requirements for receiving unemployment benefits for more information.

How do I stop my claim? 

See How to stop your claim.


Return to Top