Hiring Events: Sept 22: Online | Sept 25: Texoma | Sept 26: Texoma, Center, Beaumont | Sept 27: Laredo, Nacogdoches, Online, San Angelo | More Job Fairs
TWC launches its redesigned website on Sept. 30, 2023. Look forward to a brand new website with you in mind. Online services continue to be available 24 hours a day.

When a License is Required

If you have a business providing instruction in Texas or to Texans, including schools located in Texas providing only distance education, you must be licensed unless you are exempt from licensure or are an out-of-state distance education school.

The Texas Workforce Commission regulates most types of career schools and colleges. However, some schools such as those that train barbers, cosmetologists (hair dressers), massage therapists, aviation mechanics and realtors are licensed by other agencies.

The Texas Workforce Commission issues a Certificate of Approval to licensed schools. If your school is licensed, you are able to publish that your school is approved and regulated by TWC. If your school is operating without a license or exemption, you may be required to pay a penalty, pay refunds to all students or halt instruction.

Return to Top

License Application Process

To get a license for a career school or college, you must submit a complete application with supporting documents and required fees to TWC.

Our goal is to issue a Certificate of Approval within 90 days. The time it takes for your school’s application review will depend on the completeness of your application and the timeliness of your responses to requests for information and revisions. If the application is not completed, TWC will close the application. Schools may begin the application process again when prepared to do so.

Your application fees depend on the size of your school and the number of applications submitted for staff. A minimum fee for a small school with one director, one instructor and one representative is $1,131.

TWC is here to help with the licensing process. For assistance, email career.schools@twc.texas.gov or call 866-256-6333, option 3.

Do I Need to Contact Other Agencies?

If you plan to offer any degree program or programs for certain vocations you will need to work with another agency in addition to TWC. For details, see Licensing Coordination Information for Career School ProgramsPDF.

The following programs require licenses from both TWC and another agency.

  • Auctioneer
  • Laser hair removal
  • Limited medical radiologic technologist
  • Medication aide
  • Nurse aide
  • Vocational nurse

If you plan to offer degree programs, you need to contact the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

Return to Top

Get Started with Your Application

To find instructions, forms and samples for a new school application, see the following resources:

Residence or Seminar School?

You will apply as either a Residence (vocational) School or a Seminar School. A Residence School offers at least one program: a sequence of subjects that teaches skills and knowledge required for employment in a specified occupation. Residence schools may offer seminars as well as programs. Seminar Schools offer only seminars: courses of instruction to enhance a student's career.

Large School or Small School?

You also will apply as either a large or small school.

Your school is considered large for licensing purposes if it meets either of these conditions:

Your school is considered small for licensing purposes if it meets both of these conditions:

  • Has an adjusted annual gross income from student tuition and fees less than or equal to $100,000
  • Does not receive any Title IV payments.

Financial Statements

You will need to contact a Public Accountant to begin the required financial statements. Requirements differ depending on the type of ownership of your school-- sole proprietor, corporation, or partnership.

Return to Top

Create Essential Documents & Policies

You will need to submit your catalog and enrollment agreement with your application.

Catalog Resources

Enrollment Agreement Resources

Return to Top

Staff Your School

Your school must have a school director, at least one representative and at least one instructor, all approved by TWC. One person can fill more than one of the required roles. You can find information on staff continuing education requirements on the Ongoing Requirements for Licensed Schools page.

School Director

Your School Director must sign and attest to assurancesPDF that include the director's responsibility for the quality of instruction, the adequacy of facilities, the character and qualification of school staff, and the proper maintenance of student records.


Representatives solicit and enroll students for the school. Sole Proprietors and some partnerships are not required to have representatives. You must renew your list of Representatives each year.

Before they solicit students, School Representatives must be approved by TWC and pass TWC’s free, online training on state rules about soliciting students:  Representative Training for Career Schools and Colleges.


You must list at least one Instructor for each subject that will be taught. An instructor may teach more than one subject. Instructors cannot be students in the same or similar program in which they teach. Within the first three months of teaching at your school, any inexperienced teachers must receive professional development to learn and develop effective teaching strategies.

Appointed Designated Liaison (revised name for Staff Designee)

Your School Director is responsible for appointing an Appointed Designated Liaison. The Appointed Designated Liaison serves as a liaison person when the director is not available during a TWC survey visit to the school. The director must ensure other staff are aware of the responsibilities of this person and that the Appointed Designated Liaison is trained in survey visit procedures.

The Appointed Designated Liaison appointment is a step in the application process for an incoming School Director. If there is a need for an incumbent School Director to appoint a new Appointed Designated Liaison, use the Change in Appointed Designated Liaison also known as Appointed Designated Liaison form.


These forms are used both in an Application for Certificate of Approval and in reporting staffing changes at a licensed school.

Title Document Number Date
Director Application

Director Application PDF

CSC-002D Apr, 2018
Appointment of Designated Liaison Appointment of Designated Liaison PDF CSC-002DL Jan, 2018
Instructor Application Instructor Application PDF CSC-002I Jan, 2018
Instructor Application Guide Instructor Application Guide PDF CSC-002IG Jan, 2018
Representative Registration Application Representative Registration Application PDF CSC-014 Jan, 2018
Addendum to Representative Registration Application Addendum to Representative Registration Application PDF CSC-014A Mar, 2018
Professional Conduct Professional Conduct PDF CSC-014B Jan, 2018
Continuing Education Providers for Career Schools and Colleges Licensed by TWC Continuing Education Providers for Career Schools and Colleges Licensed by TWC PDF N/A May, 2015

Forms required for more than one type of change are listed at Career Schools & Colleges Forms & Publications

Return to Top

Ready Facilities & Equipment

Your school facilities and equipment must support the program(s) your school offers. You do not have to have facilities and equipment to apply for licensure, but TWC must visit and survey your school before your school can be approved.

Return to Top

Plan Externships & Internships

Your school may require students to complete an externship or internship as part of their program. When you plan an outline of experiences and competencies for this training, students can gain insight into their chosen occupation.

It is your school’s responsibility to arrange adequate externship or internship sites and supervision for all students enrolled in the program.

For more information on externship and internship requirements, see the New Program/Seminar Application. Our Sample New Program Application includes an example of a letter to a potential externship site and a sample extern evaluation form.

Return to Top

Know the Law & Rules

Career schools and colleges are regulated in Texas under Career Schools and Colleges Law - Texas Education Code, Chapter 132 and Career Schools and Colleges Rules - Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 807PDF. The state law and rules guide TWC’s review of your school materials and inform career schools of the expectations of the state of Texas. Your familiarity with the law and the rules will benefit your school and your students.

School Advertisements

You cannot advertise until your school has been approved. The law and rules provide extensive guidance about career school advertisements, for example:

  • Advertisements cannot be deceptive.
  • Ads can be printed only in specified sections of newspapers and periodicals.
  • There are words that are not allowed in advertisements, such as “Wanted,” “Help Wanted” or “Trainee.”
  • Other words cannot be used in ads without TWC approval, including the words "guaranteed" and "free."
  • You cannot promise employment for students.
  • Pictures and graphics cannot provide a false impression of your school facilities.
  • There are restrictions on the size of font and language used to publicize financial aid.

Read the advertising rules carefully.

TWC considers statements made by school representatives equivalent to advertising the school. Your representatives can recruit students only at educational settings, job fairs, or organized meetings, and there are limits on what they can say about financial aid. Your school is responsible for statements made by your representatives.

Return to Top

Complete the Application Process

To get a license for a career school or college, you must submit a complete application with supporting documents and required fees to TWC. Refer to the New School Application Checklist to ensure that your materials are complete. Submit your Fee Sheet with your application.

Our goal is to review your application and reply within five business days of receiving your application materials. If we request revisions or additional materials, you need to respond completely within 30 calendar days. The cycle of review and response may occur as many as three times in our efforts to approve your school within 90 calendar days. If you do not fully respond to our requests within the 30 calendar days, your application may be closed, and you may need to reapply and pay a new application fee.

If your application is not complete and may be closed your TWC contact will let you know, and you will have an opportunity to respond. TWC will notify you formally by certified mail when your application has been closed.

We are available to answer your questions as you work on your application or our requests for revision or more materials.  For assistance, email career.schools@twc.texas.gov or call 866-256-6333, option 3.

Return to Top


Accreditation refers to a voluntary process in which postsecondary schools and colleges apply to an independent, non-governmental body to review their school and programs against defined standards. To remain accredited, a school must meet minimum standards established by the accreditor.

Accreditation is not required for TWC to license a career school or college to operate in Texas. However, to offer federal grant and loan programs to its students, one requirement is that a career school or college must be accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Also, career schools and college and postsecondary institutions, other than Texas public institutions, offering any degree program in Texas must be authorized under a Certificate of Authority or Certificate of Authorization by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. The Council for Higher Education Accreditation also evaluates and recognizes accrediting agencies.

Accrediting Agencies Most Frequently Used by Licensed Career Schools in Texas

Return to Top

Contact Information