The Skills for Small Business grant supports businesses with fewer than 100 employees. The program focuses on training new and incumbent workers. Up to $2 million is available for supporting our state's small employers. With over 433,000 small businesses in Texas, small employers are a key part of the business community.
Small businesses can apply to Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) for training provided by a local community college. TWC will process the application and work with colleges to fund the courses. The business is then able to select the courses to customize training to their needs.
- This program emphasizes new and incumbent employees for small businesses.
- The program funds $1800 per new employee and $900 per incumbent employee.
- Funding for training is for full-time employees.
- All training must be provided by a public community or technical college.
- Employers must pay the prevailing wage in their local labor markets.
- Common training courses include: Customer Services, Quickbooks, CPR, Sales/Marketing.
- Managers and business owners may be eligible to participate, dependent on job duties.