Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Skip to main content

There are a variety of records available to the public. Many confidential records are only available to those with a “Special Right of Access” to the information. 

To make a request you may use one of the following methods:

OnlineThis is the preferred and fastest way to submit an open records request.
Use our Online Request System to submit your request and receive updates.
EmailFill out the Request Form for Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) Records and email it to
MailFill out the Request Form for TWC Records and mail it to 

Texas Workforce Commission
Open Records Room 266
101 E. 15th St.
Austin, TX 78778​​​​​​
FaxFill out the Request Form for TWC Records and fax it to the Open Records department at 512-463-2990.
In PersonRecords may be requested and picked up in-person at our main state office building.
Bring the completed Request Form for TWC Records  with you.
Records may not be available the same day as requested. Appointments for pickup may be necessary.

Records available without an open records request

Important Reminders:

  • To obtain your own records, you will need to provide proof of identification in the form of your government-issued photo ID.
  • Requests for confidential information must be accompanied by identification of the requestor to show that the requestor has a Special Right of Access.
  • For records of someone you represent, provide a signed authorization from the person or entity to obtain their records, proof of your legal representation, a court order authorizing TWC to release the records or an explanation of your authority to obtain confidential records.
  • For records regarding a person other than you, that information may be confidential by law and TWC may not be authorized by law to release such information without a signed authorization.
  • In accordance with Chapter 552, Government Code, requests for public information must be in writing.
  • Unemployment compensation and job-matching service records are not public information under Chapter 552, Government Code.
  • If you are requesting a copy of your own wage records showing reported quarterly gross wages going back five years, you can go in person to your local Workforce Solutions office. You will be asked to present your state or government-issued photo ID, such as your Texas driver’s license, and your social security number. For wages beyond five years, go to your local Social Security Administration office.

Open Records is for Public Information Requests Only

  • The TWC Open Records team is not able to provide all of the many records used by TWC.
  • Open Records is not able to answer questions about unemployment benefits, including inquiries about Personal Identification Numbers.
  • For questions about Unemployment Benefits Services Support, please call 800-939-6631 (option 1) for assistance or visit Unemployment Benefit Services.
  • For tax account information, call your Unemployment Tax Office.
  • For other TWC departments that may provide records to you in the course of handling your claim, account, complaint or other service, visit our contact information page.
  • After reviewing all the information on this page, if you still have questions regarding how to make an Open Records Request, please call our Customer Relations Department at 800-628-5115 (option 0).
  • We have specific guidelines for requesting information for external research purposes.

Texas Public Information Act

The Texas Public Information Act (Texas Government Code Chapter 552) declares “public information” about the government and its employees must be available to the public at all times.

"Public information" or "open records" refers to information that is written, produced, collected, assembled, or maintained by the government and its employees. This information must be of and in direct connection with official business.

We are committed to upholding the Texas Public Information Act and ensuring public access to our records. All TWC records are available to the public unless there is an exception to disclosure listed in the Public Information Act or if another law applies.

You may find more detailed information on the Public Information Act on the Office of Attorney General (OAG) website. If you have questions regarding the Public Information Act, you may contact the OAG's Open Government hotline.

Note: Information may be confidential by law and TWC may not be authorized to release confidential information. Some TWC records can be released only to specific people based on their role in a claim or file. Generally, you must have been directly involved in the claim or case, and in some cases, the claim or case must be closed to get a copy of a TWC investigation record. Examples of our confidential records include unemployment benefits claimant files, employer tax account information, employment discrimination complaint files, housing discrimination complaint information and wage claim investigations files.

TWC complies with all laws and rules on the release of confidential records, including who is and is not entitled to certain information and whether some information must be removed from the record before it is released. If the record you are seeking exists and you are entitled to it, then we will review it to ensure its release complies with applicable laws and rules. The review process may include removing specific personal and identifying information. However, members of law enforcement agencies and certain other entities (including those with subpoena authority) may get records without alterations.

Types of Open Records Available

You can request public information regarding these departments:

  • UI Claims History
  • Statement of Wage & Potential Benefits & Determination Letters
  • Tele-Serv
  • Appeal File
  • Appeal Hearing Audio Recordings
  • Investigation Notes
  • Employer Response
  • Overpayment Records
  • UI Payment History
  • 1099-G Information

  • Employment discrimination complaints
  • Complaint Forms
  • EEOC Skeleton Documents
  • Complainant's and/or Complainant's Representative’s Correspondence
  • Complainant Evidence/Witness Statements
  • Respondent's and/or Respondent's Representative's Correspondence
  • Respondent Evidence/Witness Statements/Position Statements

This category does not include unemployment claim information, wage history information or tax information. Some items in this category may be confidential or subject to an exception to disclosure.

  • Housing discrimination complaints
  • Case investigative file and information derived from investigations
  • The Final Investigative Report (FIR)

This category does not include unemployment claim information, wage history information or tax information. Some items in this category may be confidential or subject to an exception to disclosure.

  • Quarterly Tax Reports
  • Miscellaneous Tax Reports

This category does not include individual unemployment claims, payday claims or wage history information for individuals. Some items in this category may be confidential or subject to an exception to disclosure.

  • Texas Payday Law Wage Claim files
  • Texas Payday Law Wage Claim appeal hearings

This category does not include unemployment claim information, wage history information or information on other types of complaints (such as employment or housing discrimination).

Cost of Copies

TWC uses the public information cost rules set by the OAG in determining the charges for providing copies of public information or for making public information available for inspection under the Public Information Act. Information may be requested in paper or electronic format. Postage charges may apply. Common charges for requests are:

  • Standard paper copy: $0.10 per one-sided page
  • Personnel time:
    • Programming: $28.50 per hour
    • Manipulation of data: $15.00 per hour
    • Other staff labor: $15.00 per hour
  • Overhead charge: 20% of personnel time charge

If costs are estimated to exceed $40.00, the requestor will be provided with an itemized estimate of charges and required to accept the charges in writing before the request is completed. TWC requires payment before the information is provided. If actual costs differ from estimated costs, overpayments or amounts owed will be reimbursed or billed as appropriate.