Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Skip to main content

We help people 55 and older with visual impairments live independently in their home and in the community.

If you are 55 or older and have a vision problem that makes everyday tasks difficult, Older Individuals Who Are Blind services may be able to help you gain the confidence you need to live independently. Successful independent living training can help you: 

  • Accomplish everyday tasks
  • Participate in your favorite activities
  • Communicate with family and friends
  • Gain a better understanding about your vision impairment
  • Get back confidence you may have lost

The Older Individuals Who Are Blind Program provides services to customers 55 and older:

  • Who have a significant visual impairment
  • Whose ability to function independently in the home, family, or community is substantially limited due to visual impairment
  • For whom the delivery of independent living services will substantially improve their ability to function, continue functioning, or move toward functioning independently in the home, family, or community

Depending on the individual need, the following services may be provided by TWC to eligible consumers:

  • Independent living skills training, provided in a customer’s home or in the community
  • Orientation and mobility training
  • Low vision evaluations and low vision devices, including video magnification, hand-held magnifiers, and other identified devices
  • Diabetes education
  • Deafblind evaluations and equipment
  • Counseling on adjustment to blindness
  • Other services as necessary, such as ancillary services provided to support skills training

For more information about eligibility and services provided by TWC’s Older Individuals Who Are Blind Program, please contact us at: (844) NEED-OIB or by email at:

The Health and Human Services Commission provides a broad array of independent living services to people of all ages and with all disabilities through the network of Centers for Independent Living.  TWC is working closely with these Centers to ensure a smooth referral process and non-duplication of services.  For more information, contact the Health and Human Services Commission’s Independent Living Services.

The U.S. Department of Education's Rehabilitation Services Administration offers grants to provide independent living services for older people who are blind.

The following federal statute and regulations govern the program: