The Criss Cole Rehabilitation Center (CCRC) is a residential training facility that serves adults who are blind. The facility helps them learn ways to prepare for a job. CRCC also helps people with vision loss attend college or trade school. It serves to teach people how to live on their own in the community.
CCRC is named in honor of Judge Criss Cole, who lost his sight while serving as a Marine during World War II. He was a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 1955 to 1962, and the Texas Senate from 1963 to 1970. Judge Criss Cole was instrumental in improving state services for all people with disabilities.
To be eligible for services from the Criss Cole Rehabilitation Center (CCRC), you must be:
- Legally blind.
- Age 18 or older, unless attending the Youth to Adult Program.
- Provide documentation of Texas residence.
- Referred for services by our Texas Workforce Solutions Vocational Rehabilitation Services staff.
To be eligible for acceptance, you must be able to:
- Fully participate in an 8 hour training day, 5 days a week.
- Manage daily personal care, health and medication.
- Attend scheduled classes and demonstrate progress.
- Transfer skills from one setting to another.
- Behave in socially appropriate ways and live cooperatively in an adult residential setting.
Programs & Services
The Criss Cole Rehabilitation Center (CCRC) offers the following programs.
Proficiency Training Program
Participate in individualized instruction to develop skills needed to achieve your employment goal.
Training options to increase confidence and begin the adjustment to blindness process may include:
- Reading and writing Braille.
- Personal navigation skills (Orientation and Mobility) with an assistive device such as:
- Long white cane
- Guide dog
- Electronic travel aids
- Training in technology and assistive devices.
- Meal preparation and organizational skills.
- Seminar, and;
- Recreational activities.
If you are legally blind and not receiving services, use one of the options below to request additional information:
- CCRC Admissions Office at 512-377-0300
- TWC Vocational Rehabilitation General Inquiries: 800-628-5115
- Email: CCRC.Admissions@twc.texas.gov
If you are legally blind and currently receiving services, contact your local TWS-VRS office to request referral to CCRC.
The Criss Cole Rehabilitation Center (CCRC) is located at 4800 North Lamar Boulevard in Austin, Texas, and is accessible by bus or car.
- By Bus: Use Capitol Metro bus route #5-Woodrow/South 5th or the #803 Domain/Westgate. Exit the bus on Sunshine Drive at Criss Cole.
- By Car: Going north on Lamar Boulevard, pass 45th Street. Turn left into the circular drive (marked 4800 North Lamar), and proceed to the parking garage. You may park in any unreserved spot in the parking garage, along Sunshine Drive (directly west of the CCRC building). You may also park in the visitor spaces of the CCRC parking lot.