TWC is Mailing 1099-G Forms

Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) has mailed the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments, to all claimants who received Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits in 2020.

Claimants can obtain their 1099-G information online by logging onto, and selecting View IRS 1099-G Information, or by calling Tele-Serv at 800-558-8321 and selecting Option 2.

You must report all unemployment benefits you received to the IRS on your federal tax return. The 1099-G provides all of the information you need to report your benefits.

For more information, visit: Federal Income Taxes & Your Unemployment Benefits

What is an IRS Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments?

IRS Form 1099-G is a federal tax form that lists the total amount of unemployment benefits TWC paid you in one calendar year. The 1099-G form includes:

  • Unemployment benefits (includes child support payments deducted from your benefits, if any)
  • Federal income tax withheld from unemployment benefits, if any
  • Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA) and Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance (RTAA) payments, if any

To which address did TWC mail the IRS Form 1099-G?

TWC uses the address on file as of December 31, 2020, to mail your 1099-G. If you made an address change after December 31, 2020, we will not be able to change the address where TWC mails your 1099-G because the address change was made after the forms were printed.

What if I disagree with the amount of unemployment benefits TWC reported on the 1099-G?

TWC must report the total amount of benefits paid in the prior year. You may review your payment history on to compare your list of payments.

For more information, see: If Your 1099-G Amount is Different than you Expect

What if I had an overpayment?

The amount we list on your 1099-G includes any overpaid benefits. We report the total amount of benefits we paid you in the previous calendar year, regardless of whether you repaid an overpayment. If you repaid part or all of an overpayment, the IRS allows you to deduct the repaid amounts on your tax return.

For more information on deducting an overpayment on your tax return, see the IRS instructions or contact the IRS or a tax professional.

How can I access my 1099-G on Tele-Serv or order a duplicate?

You can call Tele-Serv at 800-558-8321 and select Option 2 to find the total amount of benefits TWC reported to the IRS or order a duplicate.

How can I access my 1099-G on Unemployment Benefits Services?

You can log on to and select IRS Tax Information from the Quick Links menu to find the total amount of benefits TWC reported to the IRS. You can view any 1099-G from any previous year in which you received benefits by selecting Select Another Year at the bottom of the IRS Tax Information page. The IRS 1099-G Details section on UBS provides the total amount of benefits paid during the prior calendar year and the amount of federal income tax withheld, if any.

Do I need to attach IRS Form 1099-G to my income tax return?

No. You do not need to attach IRS Form 1099-G to your income tax return, but you do need the information on the form to submit in your income tax return.

Can I file my taxes without a copy of my IRS Form 1099-G?

Yes. You can file tax returns without IRS Form 1099-G if you know the total amount of benefits that TWC paid you, the amount of federal withholding (if applicable), and TWC’s Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN), 74-2764775.

For more information, see: Reporting Your Benefits

What is TWC’s Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN)?


I didn’t receive IRS Form 1099-G. Can TWC send another copy?

Yes. You can request a duplicate copy of IRS Form 1099-G by calling Tele-Serv and selecting Option 2 or by logging on to You do not need a paper copy of IRS Form 1099-G to file with your tax return.

For more information, see: Requesting a Duplicate 1099-G

I received an IRS Form 1099-G, but I never applied for benefits. How do I report fraud?

If you suspect a claim was fraudulently filed using your Social Security number, you should report it immediately.

  • Upload your statement on the UI Fraud Submission portal, and under the Type of Submission drop down menu, select “Report Suspected Fraud,” “Did not file the UI claim,” or “Did not file the UI claim but now need to.”
  • Send an email to
  • Leave a message on the TWC Fraud Hotline at 800-252-3642
  • Complete the Contact Request Form

For more information, visit: Reporting Fraud

Return to Top

Continued Assistance Act – CARES Act Extension

On December 27, 2020, President Donald J. Trump signed into law the Continued Assistance Act, which extends the unemployment benefits claim programs created under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). Once the legislation is enacted, the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) will work to implement the new legislation as quickly as possible. However, TWC must wait on guidance from the U.S. Department of Labor before the provisions of the Act can be implemented. This may cause you to see a break between unemployment payments. If you have an existing claim, you do not need to take any further action. TWC will automatically update your claim and inform you of your potential eligibility. We will update this page with new information when it becomes available.

Note: TWC cannot take any action prior to the effective date of any new legislation. 

Texas Adds New Jobs!

The Texas economy continues to reopen, and Texans are returning to work. There are a large number of available jobs providing Texans with new work opportunities. For help finding your next job, please visit and use the virtual and in person services at local Workforce Solutions offices throughout the state. 

If You Need Help …

You may also want to call the 2-1-1 system to learn more about the human services available in your community, such as rent and utility assistance, SNAP food stamp benefits, health insurance programs, and much more. Contact a 2-1-1 specialist by calling the number 211 or by visiting


Return to Top

New ID Verification Service Protects Your Personal Information

The Texas Workforce Commission has partnered with, an identity verification service, to protect your personal information and prevent unemployment benefits fraud.
If you are an unemployment benefits claimant, TWC may ask you to verify your identity through The process is fast, easy, and secure.  The service is free and ensures that you are the only one who can access your unemployment claim information.

Did You Receive a Notice to Verify Your Identity Through

Suspected ID Theft Claim

If you are not claiming unemployment benefits and have information that a claim was filed using your identity, please report the fraudulent claim on the UI Fraud Submission portal (English), or UI Fraud Submission portal (Spanish).

Return to Top

Employee Refused Return-to-Work Offer? Let Us Know!

If you offered any of your employees a chance to return to work and they refused, TWC needs to know. Please report each individual who refused to return to work on our online Employer Work Refusal Documentation form.

Return to Top

TWC Unemployment News

Treasury Offset Program Collection

In October 2016, TWC began issuing letters to former unemployment benefit claimants who have debts that are subject to collection through the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). TOP is a federal program that collects past due debts owed to federal and state agencies by capturing Internal Revenue Service tax refunds to offset these debts. Claimants with an overpayment caused by incorrectly reported earnings, fraud and fraud penalties are subject to TOP. For more information, go to Overpayment of Unemployment Benefits.

U.S. Bank Debit Card

If you are paid benefits by debit card, you will automatically receive a U.S. Bank ReliaCard® in the mail. For more information, go to Receiving Benefits by Debit Card.

Electronic Unemployment Benefits Correspondence

Would you like to go paperless? Sign up for Electronic Correspondence to access to your unemployment benefits correspondence online, using a secure, personal inbox.

Return to Top

Featured Topics

Return to Top

Learn More About:

Income Taxes & Your Unemployment Benefits

You must report all unemployment benefits you received to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on your federal tax return. We mail IRS Form 1099-G in January, which provides all the information you need to report your benefits.

Beginning in mid-January, you can find the amount of benefits we paid you and any federal taxes withheld on Unemployment Benefits Services (View IRS 1099-G Information) or by calling Tele-Serv at 800-558-8321 (select option 2). TWC staff does not have that information before mid-January.

Find information on reporting your unemployment benefits to the IRS

Making Home Affordable

Learn to Manage the Financial Impact of a Job Loss

Return to Top